Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why I like vacationing in Charleston

Have you visited Charleston, South Carolina? Hubby and I went there on our honeymoon over 20 years ago. Since then, we have been back several times. One one trip, my younger daughter, elderly grandmother and I went on a 'girls only' jaunt.

My visits always begins at the downtown visitor center. There is (or at least was) a large parking lot at the center. A free downtown area shuttle picks up there. Taking it for a full loop helps me decide where I want to disembark later. It's a perfect way to get an overview of the city.

My next favorite tour of Charleston is the old fashioned horse drawn carriage rides. Everyone is always in a great mood. The drivers are knowledgeable and always willing to share what they know. To me, a horse drawn carriage ride is the best way to learn about the history of Charleston.

Most people are familiar with a historic area that is called Battery Park. Most people call it 'The Battery'. The real name for this part of Charleston is actually Battery Park. This area is a peninsula that is bordered by the Cooper and Ashley. Fortification of the shores of the Cooper River in the early 1800s gave the area the name.

Several historic churches on Meeting Street date back to the 1600s. Charleston also has an interesting market. There is a lot to see and do.

Unfortunately, most of this was lost on my grandmother. Never was she more out of her element than when we took her to the market. After about 10 minutes she announced that she was hot, hungry and ready to leave. She didn't like the market, didn't see any food that she wanted to try and she was ready to leave Charleston.

We rolled her wheelchair out of the market as quickly as we could. In the process we almost broke one of the medical casters on her chair.

Charleston has a huge number of world class dining experiences but none of them sounded interesting to her. It was mid afternoon before we found the cafeteria that she wanted. Pulling into the parking lot was almost like finding a spot of heaven!

After lunch (and taking a short nap) Grandmother was ready for more sightseeing. The market had closed but Charleston has enough unique shops to make anyone happy. Grandmother was finally in her element and enjoyed the vacation.

Visiting Charleston is a trip that I recommend to everyone. Our visit wound up being different than what we had imagined but it was still an excellent bonding experience. We had such a great time that I'm currently planning another trip. This time, Hubby and I are going alone. I really can't wait for this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment