Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Inauguration Day 2009. Did you feel the mountains tremble? Or was it just my knees? Today, is the dawning of a new era of hope. No longer are minorities seen as "lesser than". For those of us who have mixed heritage or race today is a day of renewal.

My own heritage is Italian-American. Many in the South consider me to be white until they hear my maiden name. My mother used to say that I have just enough Native American heritage from her side that I could live on a reservation. That makes me 1/2 Italian-American, 1/16 Native American and 100% American.

From my living room I watched a new president take his oath of office. It was a moment that made me proud to be an American of mixed race. Today, it was good to be "Heinz 57" because that is what it means to be American. That diversity makes us strong, and proud.

Inauguration 2009 is a starting point of a new era.

No comments:

Post a Comment