Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How to get to Disney from Megabus in Orlando

We have just found out that getting to Walt Disney World from the Megabus stop in Orlando is about to get easier! Beginning July 1, 2012, the new stop will be directly inside the LYNX station. Skip on down to "From Lynx to WDW" below for information on getting to WDW from the current Megabus stop or the new one.

To find out how far the downtown Megabus stop is from Orlando transportation (LYNX) I contacted the Travel Orlando; The official source for Orlando Travel Planning. The travel bureau has an online chat that was partially helpful. The following is a cut and paste of my conversation from May 23, 2012.
Photo of Megabus busPlease wait for a Visit Orlando representative to respond
You are now chatting with 'Debbie'
Gayle: Gayle
Gayle: Hi Debbie,
Debbie: Thank you for contacting Visit Orlando. How may I assist you today?
Gayle: I'm planning a trip to Orlando via Megabus.
Debbie: Hello:-)
Gayle: The stop is supposed to be in the downtown area at
Gayle: W. Jefferson St. Parking lot between North Garland and North Gertrude St.
Gayle: Is there public transportation nearby or what is the best way to get to Pop Century>
Debbie: The public bus is LYNX, you may have to transfer on the way.
Gayle: How can I find out where a LYNX stop is in relation to the parking lot Megabus stop?
Debbie: LYNX is in the middle of downtown
Gayle: Is the W. Jefferson Parking Lot downtown?
Debbie: Yes
Gayle: Okay. That helps.
Debbie: I think the two are very close
Gayle: I'm trying to figure out if the Megabus stop is close enough to walk or if I need a cab.
Gayle: I don't see anything on Megabus, on your site or (now looking) at LYNX that can tell me.
Debbie: I'm not sure however if you contact LYNX, they could tell you
Gayle: Okay. I will have to try them. Thank you for your time and help. :)
Debbie: do you want the phone number for LYNX?
Gayle: That would be amazing.
Debbie: 407-841-8240
Debbie:  
Gayle: Thank you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Debbie: My pleasure :-)
Debbie: Thank you for contacting Visit Orlando. Please contact us at anytime.
Gayle: Will do. :)
_______________________________________________________________

My next move was to call LYNX  and hope they could tell me how to get to Disney from the Megabus stop in Orlando. I spoke with a very helpful representative named Calvin. He said that the Megabus stop is two blocks from the main LYNX terminal. North on Garland in the direction of traffic to get to the terminal.

From LYNX to WDW

He said to take the Fifty Bus to Downtown Disney. The fare is $2 each person, each way. (Fares change so double check with LYNX before arriving.)

Couple at Disney Springs in OrlandoFrom Downtown Disney, go to the other side of Cirque de Soleil and look for the line of Disney Transportation buses. Depending on which bus you need, you can either go to the resorts or to the Ticket and Transportation center.

Reverse the process to get back to the Megabus stop in downtown Orlando.

This sounds simple enough but I won't get to Disney to try it until late summer. If you take the route, please come back to leave a comment in the section below. All of us would love to know how it goes.


Facts about Magic Kingdom

13 comments:

  1. I will be taking the megabus trip from Atlanta to Orlando with my family towards the end of July. Does anyone know if it is a long two blocks from the parking lot to Lynx, the saftey of the area. Or the cost of a cab from the parking lot to Downtown Disney.
    Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be taking the megabus trip from Atlanta to Orlando with my family towards the end of July. Does anyone know if it is a long two blocks from the parking lot to Lynx, the saftey of the area. Or the cost of a cab from the parking lot to Downtown Disney.
    Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be taking the megabus trip from Atlanta to Orlando with my family towards the end of July. Does anyone know if it is a long two blocks from the parking lot to Lynx, the saftey of the area. Or the cost of a cab from the parking lot to Downtown Disney.
    Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. none of this will matter in a few days (early June), as Megabus is moving IN to the LYNX station. Deal was just approved and you will not have to walk more than a few feet to hop the LYNX to DW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping for a summer trip to Orlando. Thanks for the tip! It sounds like great news. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/05/29/lynx-approves-agreements-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question on the taxi fare from LYNX to Downtown Disney. The Mears Transportation website estimates a fare of $48. I have no information on safety issues so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 48.00 is a bit much when the cost to Orland is under 30, any suggestions besides taking bus 50 to downtown orlando

    ReplyDelete
  8. The LYNX link indicates that taking the Fifty Bus should only be about $2.00 each person.

    The $48 is an estimate from Mears Transportation. They provide taxi service for the Orlando area. Depending on where you are staying at WDW that price could change. It was only an estimate.

    Otherwise, the other option would be to rent a car from Hertz or another company.

    I hope that this helps. If not, leave another comment or email me at youvebeenreviewed@gmail.com.

    Thanks and have fun! Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I was hoping to get an update on your trip to Disney on Megabus since it is now in the Lynx station? I am traveling with small kids and was wondering if its worth it or should I just buckle down and rent a car once we arrive in Orlando?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i also plan to take megabus from atlanta to orlando, then use the $2 bus to connect to disney, can anyone post their experience please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am hopeful that someone will share their experience here. I heard by email that it went well for one person and their family but that one line is literally all they said.

      Illness prevented me from taking the trip we had scheduled. However; I have been to Downtown Disney several times.

      The buildings around Cirque de Soleil may initially block your view of the Disney buses but you'll probably be able to spot the attraction. Otherwise, it sounds pretty straightforward from Lynx.

      Hopefully someone will post. If not, please consider returning and chiming in. It sounds like a great trip!

      Delete
  11. This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I've found something which helped me. Many
    thanks!

    Also visit my blog post ... Ticket Directory

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent, what a blog it is! This webpage presents valuable data to us,
    keep it up.

    my website Ishi June 12

    ReplyDelete