Thursday, December 13, 2012

Moving Now!

Guest post by Gerard Mcdaniel

I’m moving. I’ve never lived more than a few miles away from home in my life and I have to admit, I’m terrified. I really thought I would get to stay near mom and dad longer but since I’m graduating early at the end of the month I’m going to have to be a big girl and deal with the fact that I got a great job offer in a great city.

Mom’s been busying herself with things like closing on the condo they bought me in Dallas and dad’s been doing all the dad stuff like going to http://www.electriccompaniesindallas.com to get my utilities all set up – I’ve been pretty much inconsolable about having to leave the only life I’ve ever known behind.

I’m really excited about moving to a new city in that I get to try new restaurants and make new friends but at the end of the day I’m going miss Jersey because it’s the only place I’ve ever known. I’ve lived in the same house my entire life and without my parents around to handle all my issues I’m a little worried I’m going to fall flat on my face.

I know moving away is usually part of growing up, I just didn’t know I’d have to do it when I was only 21 years old. A lot of my friends moved away when they went to college, though, so I think it’s time I got out on my own and really made a life for myself that didn’t have anything to do with being near home.

My mom is so incredibly supportive and she’s been a good listener for the times I really freak myself out – I hope she remembered to upgrade our phone plan to unlimited because I plan on calling home about ten times a day when I first move! I really thought I’d be better prepared for this…when I was in college all I wanted was my freedom. Now that I’m facing it, though, it seems decidedly less glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment