Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Inaugural trip in our new van

It's time for the Holston Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina again. Hubby and I decided to take our new van camper (to be) out on a trial run. We're using the experience to better gauge the gas mileage for the upcoming mission trips.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the Chevy Express handles. It's a 2006 but acts like a 2013. The van is peppy, responsive and has pretty good visibility. Sudden crosswinds can be a challenge but they're manageable.

Make no mistake. This isn't a camping trip. We have a long way to go to get the van ready to head to Mississippi in a couple of weeks. So far, the ceiling is insulated and a panel is installed. The futon is in place and secured. Hubby installed the seat belt between the sessions.

The conference sessions at Annual Conference are pretty typical with a very noticeable exception. We were treated to a play called "The Circuit Rider's Wife" tonight. There were some funny moments and the music was excellent. I don't know if this is a one-hit wonder or if more performances will be forthcoming. I'll let you know what I hear.

But, I digress...

There is a noticeable difference in the sound level after the single piece of paneling and futon were installed in the van. It is much quieter than before. The ride was not affected yet. I expect that to change as we add cabinets and more insulation. 

My daughter mentioned having problems feeling the air conditioning toward the back of the van. According to her, the back half of the van gets very little air. I purchased a battery operated fan at Wal-mart today. She says that this has helped immensely.

She feels that having it in the van camper will be an asset. My rationale for going the battery operated route is upcoming camping experiences. The fan can be used in the Chevy Express without electricity. 

It also eliminates plugging it into a cord that may not be convenient and also eliminates stringing an extra cord across the van from a power point.

My initial reaction to the Chevy Express 2500 is positive. I'm looking forward to a future filled of  mission trips and outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment