Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mission trip update: Voluntourism in Mississippi

A brief mission trip update is to say that my voluntourism experience in Mississippi is a good one. We have had heat, thunderstorms and children that put the "A" in activity.

My husband's church organizes a team that goes to Choctaw tribal lands in Mississippi. This voluntourism opportunity is an annual event. Our task is to hold a Vacation Bible School, lead worship on Sunday and do some repairs around the mission center.

There is no way to know how many kids we'll have at VBS. We have had 144 kids on the first two nights. They're coming out of the woodwork this year! I am excited about how many may attend tonight.

People of differing backgrounds have united for common goals. Everything has gone smoothly on this voluntourism experience. Not all mission trips are this cohesive and I'm grateful to be here.

Internet and phone service are unpredictable. I'll post another update as soon as I can. In the meantime, let me say that if you have the opportunity to go on a mission trip, with trained leaders, then go. It can be a good experience that you will treasure lifelong.

No comments:

Post a Comment