Wednesday, October 25, 2017

I tried New Mexico food in Socorro - Not Mexican

My first taste of New Mexico food was in Socorro at this little mom-and-pop restaurant. It was different than Mexican food and it wasn't Tex-Mex. My daughter politely told me that New Mexico food is specific to the state. It has a Southeastern influence, and certainly Mexican, but also some chuck wagon and (I'm told) that New Mexico food also has some Mediterranean influence.

Whatever you want to call it, the food was delicious. If you want to get an idea of the difference, this New Mexico cookbook a cheap Kindle version and there's a free sample from the Kindle version.


The sopapillas there are my daughter's favorite. These aren't the deep fried flat tortilla that you get around Knoxville. Instead, these were lighter, thicker and puffier than the Mexican variety. We still drizzled honey on them though. I was also told that some sopapillas have a filling inside.


Dining at local restaurants is part of what makes road trips fun. If it were possible to make my life one long Great American Road Trip, then I would. It was very nice of the owners of El Sombrero Restaurant in Socorro to let me film for this YouTube video.



No comments:

Post a Comment