Thursday, October 14, 2010

How I lost 30 pounds so far

At one time or another many people have had their doctor say “lose weight”. Anyone who is overweight can tell you how hard it is to get rid of the excess points. Some weight loss programs will promise anything to get you to buy their latest book, program, gadget or herb.

For most of my life I’ve fought the battle of the bulge. It’s been hard. Complicating the matter are all the times the doctor has prescribed steroids for asthma. These are notorious to cause weight gain even though the medicines are needed during my worst attacks (often inpatient at the local hospital).

Almost any weight loss program  recommends a combination of diet and exercise. When you have a disease like asthma it’s going to take extra effort to lose weight. If you can’t breathe you can’t exercise.

That doesn’t mean that you have to give up. At one point I weighed 31 pounds more than I do now. In the process I’ve lowered my blood pressure and reduced my blood sugar levels.

Here are few things I’ve done that have helped. Maybe they will help you? I’m always open to ideas and suggestions from other people with the disease. If you have any helpful secrets leave them in the comments field below.

Move
Even on days that you can’t breathe well try to move. It doesn’t have to be much. Do leg lifts, move your arms… Every little bit counts. On the days that you can breath take a walk. Extreme hot and cold trigger my asthma. I try to find indoor places to walk.

Diet
You have to eat healthy. A nutritionist helped me come up with a realistic diet plan diet plan a few years ago. This helped me see how to eat notoriously. Most of us learn how to eat while growing up.

As a kid, my mother had to feed us things like bologna sandwiches, spaghetti, hot dogs and boil-bag pouches over a slice of toast. It wasn’t great food but it was what we could afford. As an adult, I’ve had to relearn everything I was taught about how to eat.

Support
It’s important to find support while losing weight. This can be family, friends or a support group. Their enthusiasm will help carry you through on the bad days.

Knowledge
Read everything you can about healthy living. The internet is full of information. Libraries and bookstores have shelves full of books with good content. Don’t go for the latest quick fix. Opt for lasting weight loss that you can feel good about yourself for the long haul.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on loosing 30 lbs...that's AWESOME!! So proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb! I'm hoping that posting about it will give me more incentive. :)

    ReplyDelete