Monday, January 07, 2013

My potential lifestyle and travel adjustments after foot drop

Thanks for your patience with my absence lately. You may have heard about my surgery on New Years Eve. Talk about unexpected! I have been having back problems for quite awhile now and was already scheduled for surgery in late January. Then things went south and the surgery date was accelerated.

The pain was indescribable. After a quick call to the doctor, I was started on a steroid pack. This helped with inflammation and thus the pain was reduced. This was on Friday. On Sunday, my right foot started acting funny. I could put it down but not lift it up. The condition is called drop foot and goes along with my back problem. Fixing it (or at least improving it) was an emergency. Hence, the surgery on New Years Eve.

Lifestyle adjustments are going to be needed. Not only will Tomlin be pressed into service more often, but Hubby and I will get have to get a new mattress. I slept on a memory foam mattress on one of my road trips. We're looking at Luxepedic reviews and shopping locally to see what's out there.

I'm getting suggestions from others who have back problems. The diagnosis is foot drop caused by arthritic spinal stenosis. The operation was to help me restore use of my foot and leg and I'm planning on a full recovery.

Doctors are great but a lot of knowledge can be gained by talking with other people who have “been there, done that”. Please add your suggestions to the comments section.

Walking more as the healing process progresses has been stressed. It also sounds like more physical therapy is in my future. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. It will be nice to be able to take a short hike now and again on road trips.

I'm not sure what other lifestyle changes will be involved (we may not know for awhile). However; there's no doubt that lots of people hit the road who have all kinds of disabilities. This is another one to add to list. I'm choosing to look at it as a speed bump instead of a stumbling block.

Look for lots more travel articles to come. The posts about road trips and travel articles will continue. No worries there. There is a stockpile of past travel experiences so articles will continue to be posted every few days. A few current articles will also tossed into the mix.

Take care and keep reading the blog. I'll see you on the road and online (after a little time off and some physical therapy).

No comments:

Post a Comment