Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Total Eclipse - August 21, 2017



I would be remiss if I did not write about, or at least mention, the Total Eclipse that will occur on Monday, August 21, 2017. I know, you have heard about it, read about and it seems that those of us in the ‘zone’ are about loopy over the whole thing.  I think many of us are!

I say loopy due to the fact that people in my neck of the woods, where the eclipse will be 100%, are renting out their homes, their back yards, their hay fields – any space a tourist can park a car, RV or Motor Home is up for financial grabs.

I read a post on Facebook that states a hay field for rent for the event.  Then a list of rules such as pick up after yourself, no electric or water.  Dogs on leashes and watch kids.  Leave the land the way you found it.  These land renters are charging arms and legs for the event. 

Tourists from all across the county, and the world, are descending on small towns in the path of the eclipse.  My little town (and I do mean little) is having an event in the Piggly-Wiggly parking lot.  All they said was bring your own chairs!  I am not sure why I would want to sit in the parking lot when I can sit in my pool and watch it happen!

Motels along the path have been booked for a year or longer…restaurants are gearing up for the onslaught.  T-shirt sales are making some rich.  And don’t forget the eclipse glasses.

My Eclipse glasses ready for Monday!


Triple A is on TV warning people about how many will be traveling and what to do when you run into a traffic jam.  Maybe they should warn people to make sure they have a well running vehicle full of gas.   Don’t forget a cooler chest full of water or juice and a picnic basket full of food and snacks.  And pack your patience, it could be a long haul.

This is an event in the making, made even bigger by greed by some.  Use your common sense and stay safe.  It is up to you to make sure you and your families are safe and can tell their friends they witnessed the Total Eclipse of 2017.

Photo is of my solar eclipse glasses that I purchased at City Hall in Sweetwater, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment