Monday, February 15, 2010

Review of First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

This is a book review of First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers (P.S.).

What a page turner! At times the book is an emotionally difficult read. I cannot imagine facing the horrors that Loung and her family went through. Yet, I know that the book cannot compare to the actuality. In the lifetime covered by this book Loung is:

a pampered little girl
a beloved younger sister
an orphan
homeless
starving
a forced child soldier
a refugee
an immigrant to America
a student
an advocate
an inspiration

Through the riveting viewpoint of a child Loung crafts a memoir that is so compelling you wont want to put it down. Logic says that she survived and is safe now or she couldn't write the book. Yet, on an emotional level you have to read the book to be sure she makes it through to safety. Along the way you will cheer her along, cry tears of sympathy and be relieved when she escapes to Thailand.

Never have I read a book that moved me so much. Read it. You will see what I mean. First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers (P.S.) is available in paperback on Amazon.Com.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment