Thursday, May 16, 2013

Planned popup camper modifications so I can camp again

Here is a video of our planned popup camper modifications. Mobility issues caused by foot drop are making life more difficult in surprising ways. The modifications will not make any travel trailer meet ADA requirements. Instead, it will make the popup camper more usable for my needs.

Getting into the travel trailer is a challenge. I really couldn't come up with a good way to do that. Anything that we do must be able to fit inside when folded. That ruled out stairs with a railing or a wide step. After a lot of consideration, I think that the step stool and walker combination is our best bet. It makes the campsite look unkempt but gets the job done. Here's the video of the planned popup camper modifications.


Walkways are tiny in any popup camper so,
most of what we focused on is how to reduce injury when falling. Falls have become more of a "when" than an "if" lately. I'm walking on flat ground "okay" but the drop foot still causes me to become off balanced.

If you have any other ideas on how to modify the popup camper, then let me know. The mobility issue is a pain to deal with. Hubby and I had already planned to upgrade to a campervan RV later on. Right now; I'm stubbornly convinced that tweaking the travel trailer will get me back to what I love to do.

Is tent camping your thing? My previous post on camping with electricity may interest you. A lot of people think that electrical campsites are only for RVs or travel trailers. That's not the case. Just make sure that your site is wired for a box and you're almost ready to go. The above link will fill you in on anything else you need to know.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27994491.cfm

    ReplyDelete