Friday, April 10, 2009

How Hard is it to Pick Up an Anniversary Cake?

Today is my anniversary. Hubby and I have been married 21 years. During this time, we have learned a lot from each other. Unfortunately, picking out an anniversary cake isn't one of them.

Hubby and daughters went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. We had planned a nice steak dinner with baked potatoes and a nice salad. Since they were going to Wal-Mart anyway, I asked them to pick up a cake for our anniversary.

I told my oldest daughter to pick up a yellow cake. We also discussed cheesecake. The three of them knew that they were picking out an Anniversary cake. To go with our celebratory dinner, I was thinking of something with pretty decoration or an understated cheesecake.

What I got was the cake that you see in the photo. It is a chocolate birthday cake with a lemon yellow smiley face and sprinkles. Any 8 - 18 year old would have loved it!

In fact, this cake is identical to the one we got for our daughter's birthday two weeks ago.

Hubby and my daughters came in proudly bearing the cake. I looked at it and my face fell. It bore no resemblance to the anniversary cake that I had envisioned. In fact, in my mind, my anniversary cake bore no resemblance to a birthday cake at all. I thought about (and had asked for) a cheesecake or a yellow cake. I'd requested that it read "Happy Anniversary" or "Happy 21st" if icing flowers severely limited the writing space on the cake.

The cake placed before me was not on the list. There were no flowers. There was no "Happy Anniversary" or any other writing on the cake. Instead, there was this lemon yellow happy face staring up at me.

My family wanted me to cut the cake. So, I did. The first cut was right between the eyes.

Several years ago for mother's day Hubby bought me a fluorescent orange fish tank with electric blue gravel. The plastic plant was a bright lime green. Complimenting the tank was an orange goldfish.

At the time, I thought nothing would compare with that gift for tackiness. Now, I know otherwise.

In marriage, you never know what you are going to get. This doesn't just go for anniversaries. It goes for life itself. Life is never a "piece of cake".

Memories are made in any marriage. Some of those memories are moving. Others are supposed to be fun. For the rest of the time you just have to shake your head and go with the flow.

Want some birthday cake?

Want some birthday cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment