Sunday, January 31, 2010

Is a Straight Talk Cell Phone Good for East Tennessee Service

Since writing the article about Straight Talk cell phones awhile back I've been almost inundated with questions. I switched to this provider in early December. For $45 per month you get unlimited talk, text, mobile web and free unlimited 411.

The number one thing that people want to know is if a Straight Talk cell phone has good coverage for East Tennessee. The cell phone service uses Verizon towers. In theory, you should get service anywhere a Verizon customer gets a signal. Hubby has that service and so far the theory has been accurate.

Here's what I know based on where I've traveled with the phone.

Straight Talk works along the I-75 interstate from Richlands, KY to Chattanooga. It also works off of the interstate in Berea, KY.
Campbell Co. - Good service from Caryville to Lafollette
Anderson Co. - Good service going to and through Oak Ridge.
Knox Co. - Good service
Jefferson Co - Good service.
Sevier Co. - Good service.
Athens - Good service.
Sweetwater - Good service.
Cleveland - Good service.
Chattanooga - Good service.
Dalton, GA - Good service

The phone I use is the LG220C which cost about $40. A full coverage map is available online. It's interesting that the map shows no coverage for the Berea, KY area. While visiting Berea I have tried every feature the Straight Talk plan offers. So far, no problems.

Is Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I have a Samsung R355c from Straight Talk and I spend the the awaiting of the New Year at Tennessee with friends and family which none of them had neither Verizon, Straight Talk, or any other. Guess what, they were using my ST for their calls and did not cost me a pennie. I only pay $30 a month w/ 1000 min. talk/text/30mb of data and also free 411 calls. I indeed had a very Happy New and Beginning Year 2011 with my ST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmita,

    Thank you for your comment. It is always great to hear from readers! :)

    I've had it for over a year now and still love it. So far, zero problems with service or reception. My daughters are using ST too. It's proven to be a real cost saver.

    ReplyDelete