Friday, January 21, 2011

Megabus stop in Christiansburg, VA

Ever since I blogged about riding Megabus from Knoxville to Washington, D.C. people have been asking great questions. Several have been about the bus stop in Christiansburg, VA. This article will attempt to answer all of your questions. If it doesn't please comment below or send me an email. I'll get "write" on it.

There really isn't much to tell about the Megabus stop in Christiansburg, VA. The bus only pauses for a few minutes. We only stopped for about 15 minutes on our way to Washington and about 10 minutes on the way back. It's only enough time for people to exit and others to come aboard.

Megabus Christiansburg, VA
The Megabus stop in Christiansburg is next to a school parking lot. It looked like there is plenty of space to park a car or a large passenger van. I was there on a weekend so a weekday during the school year parking capability could change. I would definitely call ahead to check. 

A drawback is that there are no services available at this Megabus stop. If there are any businesses nearby I didn't see them. It would be a terrible place to need to use a restroom. Hungry travelers will find that bringing a snack is a good idea. If you don't want it at the bus stop it may come in handy as you ride to Washington.

Christiansburg Megabus Stop
I couldn't help but notice that several riders had friends or family members who dropped them off after waiting with them. This seems like it would be a good idea. There is no shelter at the Christiansburg, VA Megabus stop. Standing in the cold, rain or snow is probably going to get awkward after awhile. Being able to wait in a nice warm and dry car seems like a great idea to me. 

If you are heading south the bus stop is off of I-81 exit 118-A. This spring I plan to take a few more trips on this bus system and write a few more articles. These will specifically be about the different Megabus routes and what is available at or near the various bus stops.

In the meantime, be sure to read about more of my trip to D.C. it was quite the experience. Despite everything I'm looking forward to trying it again. Here are some photos of the Megabus stop in Christiansburg, VA. These give you a good visual of what's available; or not. Enjoy!

Note to readers (added 1/28/2011): 
The information I'm adding was prompted by the comment below. The Christiansburg, VA Megabus stop is directly across from a school. What looked to me like overflow parking is a different lot. As you can see from this map link there are no signs indicating that it isn't overflow parking. Hopefully these will be added soon to make things clearer for other Megabus riders.

Many thanks to the anonymous blog reader who left the comment. I love hearing from my readers.  You guys are great so please, keep the comments coming. 

9 comments:

  1. With regard to your comment about the Christiansburg Megabus stop being in a parking lot next to I-81, you are correct. However, it is not a school parking lot. It is a Park-and-Ride lot for commuters. Therefore, the school session has no impact on its congestion. You are correct that there are no businesses within close proximity of the parking lot, so a snack bag is definitely a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous,

    I've updated the post based on the information you provided. To me, it definitely looked like a school overflow lot. What a shame that there didn't seem to be any signs posted!

    Megabus is a good service for Knoxville and Christiansburg. I appreciate the updated information and posted a map link for other readers.

    Thanks for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making sure that you get to the Megabus stop in Christiansburg on time is really important, as they will leave without you even if it's 30 minutes earlier than the departure time. You'll be stuck there waiting around for a bus that will never come and no one to ask about it. Our bus was suppose to leave at 1:35pm and we got there at 1:10 just to wait 2 hours and go through many Megabus reps over the phone to find out that the bus had left at 1:05pm. Thanks, Megabus. I would recommend getting to the stop 45-60 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any info about overnight parking availablity? I want to use megabus from C'burg to D.C during weekend and I am not sure where to park my car so.
    If anyone knows about anything please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This link may be able to help you. http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/pnrlots.asp

    Also, as of March 1, 2011 the Megabus stop for Washington, DC is being moved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the schedule is changing in April. The bus will only stop in Christiansburg two times a day- once at 2:45am and once and 2:50pm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard this yet. Right now it looks like they're still running 3 stops daily. Any ideas on when the change will begin? I'll happily blog it to let everyone know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going on this tomorrow, thank you for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. any information on overnight parking at this stop, please !!!

    ReplyDelete