Thursday, June 16, 2011

My daughter's bridesmaids getaway and honeymoon possibilities

Watching my daughter getting ready for her upcoming weddng is already fun. You would think that there wouldn't be much to do this far in advance. After all, we do have until February of next year. However, there is a lot that has to happen between now and then. If you are a bride-to-be please give yourself (and your parents) a year to plan. My hunch is that time is going to fly!

My daughter shops for a gown.
Right now, we still don't have a venue nailed down. The list has been whittled down to three possibilities so I guess we're getting there.

What they (we) have been doing is looking at all kinds of destinations for the bridesmaid getaway and for honeymoon destination. So far, we've only gotten the bridesmaid vacation nailed down. For that, we're going to run up to D.C. and spend the night. Then we're taking the bus into Manhattan and coming back to D.C. that night before heading home the next afternoon.

The honeymoon is a different story. The kids have talked about Alaska and Walt Disney World but the destination possibilities are pretty much wide open. They may consider heading south of the boarder and going for one of the seaside luna blanca rentals or hiking in Colorado.

Both members of the couple have passports. It would be nice to see them dusted off and used. My daughter and her fiance have been perusing tour booklets and brochures in anticipation of the honeymoon. Whatever travel destination they choose I just hope they have a good time and a wonderful life together.

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever hearing about bridesmaid vacations/getaways until reading your blog. Is that something people expect these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eliza,

    I've taken part in (and have heard about) bridesmaids weekends as far back as my college years. It's not a new phenomenon but does seem to becoming more popular.

    Look for another article on this in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting! I wonder whether it began as a regional custom and then spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thought crossed my mind too. I'm doing my best to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete