Friday, September 02, 2011

Andrew Johnson National Historic Site in Greenville

One of the points of interest is the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site in Greenville, Tennessee. It's a few miles off of the interstate in downtown near the Asbury United Methodist Church. Signage for the site began just before the I needed. There were well placed enough that even directionally challenged me had no problem finding this site.

I had occasion to visit this town and decided to stop in at the historic site. The museum is in the former of President Andrew Johnson and was created to honor his legacy. Visitors can tour the house and the grounds. This isn't a large historic site so the visit only lasted about an hour and a half. There is a small parking lot at the back of the building. I was there on a weekday so parking the car was no problem at all.

The family actually lived in the home until the 1950's. It is decorated with the period furnishings I had hoped to see. There is an interesting video that helped me understand more about President Andrew Johnson. It took about 15 minutes to watch. I'd recommend seeing it.

Don't plan on spending a full afternoon here. It won't take that long to see everything. I did feel that it was a good add-on to my trip. There are some other shops in Greenville that are fun to look through. All in all, it made for a very pleasant day trip from Knoxville.

Andrew Johnson National Historic Site
101 North College St. 
Greeneville, TN 37743
Historic Site
(423) 639-3711
Visitor Center
(423) 638-3551
Fax (423) 798-0754

No comments:

Post a Comment