Friday, February 10, 2012

Why The Grey movie has me wishing for a refund

This movie review may hit some people the wrong way. On the other hand, some of you've been through the movie The Grey and know exactly what I'm talking about. Normally, I enjoy Liam Neesen films and have reviewed a few of them. The Grey caught my attention for several reasons.

The premise is that The Grey movie is set in Alaska. Passengers aboard a downed plane are left to fend for themselves in the cold Alaska wilderness. The rag-tag group of remaining oil rig workers is led by Ottway (Liam Neesen) in their fierce struggle to survive the elements, and each other.

I had high hopes for the film. The reviews looked good and the trailers seemed promising. Unfortunately, those hopes crashed and burned in the first few minutes of the movie along with most of the aircraft passengers. The Grey goes against the realities of Alaska, the people who live there and the behavior of wolf packs. Overall, I felt that the movie came across as gory and contrived rather than believable.

To say more about The Grey would be to give away spoilers (which I don't want do in this review). Let me suggest that this movie isn't one that you can relax and enjoy watching. For me, it's 2 hours of my life that I will never get back and I'd really like to have that refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment