Sunday, September 06, 2009

Portable CharBroil Grill is Perfect for Fall Travel

Blog followers know that I love to travel. Traveling on a budget requires research, planning and cutting costs whenever possible. For me, the investment in a portable Char-Broil Grill drastically cuts meal costs and allows me to allocate those dollars for activities that are a lot more fun than a quick sandwich.

I have no stock or interest writing about the portable grill. No one is paying me and I am not trying to sell a product. This is just a tip about something that helps me and my family. Like any advice, feel free to take it or leave it.

We bought the the cheap portable CharBroil grill for about $20 at Lowe's. Similar styles are sold at Home Depot and Wal-Mart but I'd heard good things about this brand and decided to take the chance. Opening the box to heating it the first time took about 20 minutes The grill holds about six hamburgers and folds compactly for travel. I have plenty of space for coolers, suitcases or whatever else needs to go in the car.

One of the best things about the portable CharBroil.Com is that it uses small cannisters of propane. These are easily picked up at Walmart. Right now, they run about $4 for two cans. We are able to cook several runs of pork chops, steaks or hamburgers with a single can. Our trash guys told me to put the empties by the your curbside pick up.

Both clean-up and cool down time were a breeze. I use a steel brush or wad of aluminum foil to scrape the rack with while it's warm. I follow this up with a paper towel and almost everything comes off. Then I let the grill continue to burn off the fragments that are left and rewipe with a towel.

Cooling the portable gas grill takes only a few minutes. Take the lid off of the unit by the handle. In a few minutes everything is cool enough to put back in the car. I was very surprised at this. Overall, my family is looking forward to using the portable grill. We have some big trips coming up. Hopefully the cheap little gas grill will serve us well in the months to come.

Follow-up
It is now 2012 and I'm happy to say that we received two summers of rigorous use from this portable gas grill. We used it extensively on our drive to and from Alaska, when we drove to Atlanta and to Washington, D.C. (all in 2009).

My family has used the portable gas grill at parks in Virginia, Tennessee and on the way to Florida. This summer, we finally had to buy another one. Like its predecessor, this one is holding up to rigorous use. I dare say that we'll be using this cheap little portable gas grill for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment