Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review of Applebees in Alcoa, TN near the Knoxville Airport

It was about 1:15 pm. when Hubby and I decided to meet with friends at the Applebee's Bar and Grill in Aloca. Complete contact information is below:

Applebee's Bar and Grill
2564 Alcoa Hwy
Alcoa, TN 37701
(865) 984-6444

Kudos to Applebee's for serving free meals to our service personnel on Veteran's Day. There is not enough that we can do to honor these brave individuals! So, I salute Applebee's for their efforts.

They have a varied menu. You can choose from mouth-watering steaks, cool crisp salads, soups, sandwiches and more. View the entire menu online by clicking here.

The Applebee's in Alcoa is moderately priced. Our bill for 2 was $26.00 including tax but not tip. Hubby and I each ordered the lunch combo. I  ordered half a chicken sandwich with broccoli cheese soup. Hubby got a shrimp and spinach salad with the Ruben. We ordered cheese sticks as an appetizer.

The hot and tasty cheese sticks came with marinara sauce. The sauce was a little on the sweet side. Neither of us cared for it. The cheese sticks themselves were great. They had a crispy shell and were filled with soft mozzarella. Nice.

When the server brought out our lunches I was in for a surprise. The sandwich was good. It was nicely presented on the special bread. The lettuce was crisp and the cheese was gently drooping on the edge. Neither the sandwich nor the soup was served warm. I didn't mind the sandwich being cool but the soup was a problem.

Fortunately, the table  next to us had signaled the server for something so it was easier for us to catch her attention. She was surprised when I said my soup was cold. Actually, we're not just talking cold. The broccoli seemed to be partially frozen. I pointed out that the shredded cheese garnish on top of the soup had not even melted. She took the dish and headed for the kitchen. A few minutes later the manager came out to apologize.

He told me that apparently there were 2 pots of soup cooking. One was cold and the other was hot. He said that they checked the temperature of the bowl I sent back, agreed that it was way too cold to serve and said more would be out in just a minute.

A steaming bowl of soup after I finished eating my sandwich. The cheese garnish was left off. Steam was rising from the bow. It was definitely hot and It was also timed perfectly to arrive just as Hubby and our friends were finishing their lunches. I was able to finish my lunch while we waited for the drink refills that never arrived. No one checked back to see if the soup was ok.

After awhile we signaled the server for the refills and checks. We received only the checks. Applebee's in Alcoa was about 1/2 to 3/4 full by this time. Our server was pleasant, we just didn't see her much. Next time I'm in the area and need a restaurant I'll be just as slow to go back.

Resources:
Applebee's Bar and Grill
Youve Been Reviewed Rating System
Yahoo Local
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment