Sunday, January 17, 2010

DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze Product Review



As an avid crafter I like reliable products that make life easy. When the DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze caught my eye I knew it was worth a try. A shiny finish is perfect for many of the jewelry items that I create. The problem comes in when you put on a coat of finish, let it dry, repeat, repeat, repeat. Who has time for all of that?

The DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze cost $5.99 at Hobby Lobby for the 8oz. bottle. It is also available in a spray can or squeeze bottle. The jar fits nicely in your hand and has a wide mouth lid. When you start to use it the smell can be overpowering. Opening a window or turning on an exhaust fan will help clear that odor. After the product dries there is no residual smell. (That's great news for those of us with asthma!)

The product itself is easy to use and a snap to clean up. Just use soap and water to clean your brush or take care of a spill.


Another nice thing is the one coat application. This works well for most projects. But, if there is a lot of deep detail you'll probably want to use a second coat. DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze dries to the touch quickly. You need only wait 5-10 minutes before adding the second coat. Let it cure overnight for the hardest finish. All of your pieces will look like glazed ceramic.

Dipping is the reason that the wide mouth jar appeals to me. Making my own beads can be time consuming. Who wants to sit around and paint coat after coat of glaze on them? Put those beads on a toothpick and dip them in the DecoArt  Triple Thick Glaze. Brush the excess off with your paintbrush. Push the toothpick into a block of styrofoam to dry overnight. Presto! Your bead has a beautiful finish with a minimum of effort.

Oh and if you think I got paid to write this article think again. I like the product that much. Look at the necklace above. The beads were purchased at the craft store. On the left is a shiny bead. That's the one I coated with DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze. The bead on the right is untouched.

It's also good for other items as well. Wood, bisque, resins, paper mache, ceramics... Take your pick. The glaze works well. Now, if it only came in a gallon size!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU I LOVE THIS STUFF IT IS THE GREATEST I WISH THEY WOULD SELL BY THE GALLON THAT WOULD BE SO GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Msnetbenavidez,

    Good idea on the gallon size. That would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you dip a bead on a toothpick, doesn't the bead stick to the stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has only happened a couple times. Twisting the toothpick against the bead almost always does the trick.

      If it doesn't work, then I take a pair of needle nosed pliers and use a twisting/pulling motion to take the toothpick out of the bead.

      May I ask what kind you're making? I'm always interested in beads. :)

      Delete