Friday, March 18, 2011

Should I rent a car for a summer vacation road trip

How far does the road go and where does it end? If I was an adult, would I rent a car for summer vacation road trip? I remember wondering about these questions when I was a kid. Heck, as an adult those questions are still on my mind.

Back then, my family traveled about once a year for work but very seldom took a vacation.  I’m not sure when the travel bug bit me. It may have always been there like an itch that won’t go away.

My ability to travel changed after Hubby and I were married. Instead of asking where the road goes, our poor children are more likely to wonder if it ever ends.

A big road trip adds a lot of miles to the family car. The mileage on our 2009 road trip to Alaska ended up adding 12,000 miles.  That kind of mileage adds up fast but I’d go back there in a heartbeat.
 
Every year, I wonder if I should rent a car for summer vacation road trip or not. We have friends and family members who do this every year and love it. They make some good arguments. The main thing seems to be if you can get discount car rental and services.

It’s a given that you’ll need car rental if you’re driving into town. Unless the town you choose has mass transit a car will be essential. A friend rents so she can get the size she needs. I’ve also been told that the worry about mechanical breakdowns is alleviated with a car.

I’ve still not decided if I should I rent a car for our summer vacation road trip or not. Keeping the miles off the car sounds good. So does the idea of having a bigger vehicle.

But, the idea of building memories around the family car sounds good too. At the end of the day the decision of renting matters less than the getaway. A summer vacation road trip isn’t about a car. It’s about memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment