Thursday, May 26, 2011

Our stop on Hightop Mountain in Shenandoah National Park

I just love finding new places to visit.That's why my daughter and I drove through the Shenandoah Valley National Park on the way back to Tennessee from D.C. This was her first trip through the national park. Although we didn't head for the summit when we got to this spot on Hightop Mountain we did get out of the car to enjoy our surroundings. Of course we had to take Gulliver the Travel Bear with us.

Hightop Mountain, VA sign
At an elevation of 2,637 feet we were about a half mile high. We weren't anywhere near the summit which is 3,579 feet. For that we have to park at the trailhead and hike up the mountain. The Appalachian Trail runs nearby and is supposed to take us to the summit.

Reaching the top must be an incredible experience. On this day, my asthma dictated that I not try it. That didn't keep me from enjoying the stop for a little while though.

Here's a blog post from someone who was able to climb Hightop Mountain. If you are interested in hikes you will want to read what they have to say. 

Hightop Mountain is on the southern end of Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park. The downside of taking Skyline Drive is the fee to enter the park. They sell annual passes and honor other types of passes. Fees for these change. Be sure to check with the National Park Service.

Shenandoah National Park is packed with fun things to do. It's fairly accessible from I-66 and I-64. Lodging is available from campgrounds and lodges within the park boundaries.

Be sure to read this link about my favorite national parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment